Monday, July 6, 2009

Wanna-bee, New-bie, Accountabili-ty

As a Wannabee, you sit on the end of the bench, thinking to yourself, "I wish I could do that." Then, along the way, something happens inside of you that gently nudges you into actually 'doing' something to stand up off that bench and step onto the court. When you actually get a feel of the action, you begin to realize that you don't need to 'wish' anymore. So you start to study the game, practice the skills necessary, and perhaps get some playing time.

Congratulations, you are now a Newbie, still learning as you go. But as a Newbie things can be overwhelming. You can fall into a comfort zone of thinking, "Well, since I'm new at this and not expected to be really good yet, mistakes don't matter. No one is really counting on me anyway." The problem with this thinking is that there is at least one person counting on you - YOU. And you don't want to let that person down.

I share this example because over the past few days I've realized that I've been locked in that thinking of a Newbie. I've told some people what I'm doing and what my goal is, but, I've become comfortable in that "non-expectation" phase. However, I've discovered that nothing gets you out of that 'comfort zone' than having to be accountable. I've had my website for awhile now, business cards printed, told a few people what I'm doing and actually done some really good work so far. But, I didn't really 'put myself out there' until I started this blog. I've now told my friends and family. I posted a link on my Facebook page, informed my Twitter followers, and emailed my fellow voiceacting classmates. In just a couple of days of doing so, I've had those same friends, family and classmates wish me well and encourage me to keep chasing this dream. What I've noticed is how I now feel 'ACCOUNTABLE' because I've put others on notice that they are going see me succeed. Nothing creates a feeling of accountability like telling others what you're going to do, because now you have to do it.

So, if you're considering pursuing the craft of voiceover, or anything that you have a passion for, tell as many people that matter to you as you can...they will help you with your Accountability.

Derek Chappell
The Voice of Your Business

(If you are enjoying this blog so far, please tell your friends so they can follow along too.Thank You.)

1 comment:

  1. Derek,

    Good thoughts. May you have much success as you continue to move forward.

    Be well,
    Bob Souer

    ReplyDelete